Squid 2.6 for Windows
Native port of Squid 2.6, with some Windows service enhancement.
UPDATE: starting from 2.6.STABLE4, also the full Windows MinGW support is available in the standard Squid distribution.
Full Cygwin support is available in the standard Squid distribution.
Key changes from 2.5
- Changed the default Windows service name from "SquidNT" to "Squid"
- Changed the names of the following Windows helpers:
- "win32_auth.exe" to "mswin_auth.exe"
- "win32_ntlm_auth.exe" to "mswin_ntlm_auth.exe"
- "win32_check_group.exe" to "mswin_check_lm_group.exe"
- Starting with STABLE4, awin32 is no more available, use aufs instead
- If You are upgrading from SquidNT 2.x, please uninstall
the old service and merge your old squid.conf in the new squid.conf
configuration file. Don't forget to take a look about squid.conf changes
2.6 Release Notes page
- Extract the binary archive in the desired directory (default c:\squid)
- Check in the docs\CompileOptions.txt file the build options
- Read the docs\release-2.6.html file
- Copy and rename the follwing files:
- squid.conf.default ==> squid.conf
- mime.conf.default ==> mime.conf
- cachemgr.conf.default ==> cachemgr.conf
- Edit the squid.conf and change if needed the c:/squid path (use path with '/' char, NOT '\')
- Manually create ALL the directories specified in squid.conf, except the contents of the cache directory
- squid -i [-f configfile] [-n servicename] (installs the servicename Squid service using the configfile
configuration file, default configfile is
"c:/squid/etc/squid.conf", default servicename is "Squid")
- squid -z [-f configfile] (creates the cache directories)
- squid -O servicecommandline [-n servicename] (Set in Windows Registry the Squid servicename service command line)
- squid -r [-n servicename] (removes the servicename Squid service)
Compiling source code:
- Microsoft build environment:
- Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Service Pack 6
- Microsoft latest Core SDK
- Native CVS, gawk, perl, sed and patch for NT
- MinGW environment:
- MSYS 1.0.9 or later
- MinGW 3.1.0 or later
- Windows API 2.4.0 or later
- MSYS Developer Tool Kit 1.0.1 or later
- Build environments configuration
- How obtain the sources:
- Build using Microsoft Visual Studio:
- Check ASCII format of all project files, must be DOS (CR+LF)
- Check paths on all project files
- Verify the Squid options defined in autoconf.h
- Check default parameters on squid_mswin.mak file
- Check settings on Install files project
- Build using MinGW:
- Squid features not operational:
DISKD: needs to be ported - Volunteers are welcome
WCCP: cannot work because GRE support on Windows is missing - Volunteers are welcome
Transparent Proxy: missing Windows non commercial interception driver
- Some code sections can make blocking calls
- Some external helpers may not work
- File Descriptors number hard-limited to 2048
For general Squid configuration ask always on squid-users
Original Port and some enhancements by Romeo Anghelache (see the ChangeLog)